Friday, July 13, 2007

A peacock is better than an alarm clock


I’m on vacation. That may not sound strange to anyone but me. Fact is, I don’t take vacations. I do travel. And I do have fun with friends in far-flung places. But for the most part, when I leave my home, it’s for a purpose. I go to a conference, or a seminar, or a real estate site visit. I meet my friends on foreign territory and we share the experience, and food and drink. And in between the fun moments, I work.

I’ve been on my friend’s farm in Virginia since Tuesday with no agenda other than “go with the flow.” Very strange… and very fun. The sounds of nature come through the bedroom windows early in the morning, with roosters, peacocks, and guinea hens being the noisiest. The sounds all blend in with the cool mountain air.

I woke up one morning and noticed what appeared to be someone by the fence outside my bedroom window. “Why is there a person in a green coat leaning against the fence?” And then I looked closer and saw it was a peacock, maybe the one who woke me a 6:30. I didn’t get a picture of that one, but found the one above sitting in the barn later in the day.



Life is simple; my friends are caring and nurturing. I’m happy to be here. And I managed to get some pictures of the resident hummingbird while drinking morning coffee on my friend’s deck.

No comments: