Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How can this be?


When I was mid-attack yesterday, throwing up, flushed with heat, throat tightening, and nearly passing out, I asked my doctor, “How come this is happening? Why now?”

She said that allergies can develop over time because the body builds up antibodies that eventually reach a critical mass. Also, there may be reactions along the way that don’t register as such. For example, early in my first treatment cycle I had an episode where I nearly passed out in Grand Central. They’re rethinking now that it might have been an unregistered reaction.

I didn’t end up in the hospital ER yesterday. Forewarned is forearmed. Everyone was prepared to notice symptoms. The results of the previous week’s CT scan ruled out an embolism; if it happened again, it would be a pattern implicating allergy. My doctor wrote orders in advance for steroid and Benadryl; the IV bags would be there if needed.

I am so out of sorts today. It’s been very difficult to keep my mind clear and focused. I’ve been trying to attack my mountain of paperwork, but I keep getting distracted.

I called the oil company this morning to report that my heat didn’t go on. I went downstairs and pushed the furnace’s red button to reignite the pilot light, but nothing happened. They scheduled an appointment for later in the day, commenting that it might take a while since there were a lot of service calls for heat problems.

When the heat guy finally showed up, he walked to the thermostat first, turned up the temperature, and without missing a beat, the heat went on! All day I thought the furnace wasn't going on because the pilot light wouldn't start, but it was because the thermostat was set too low. Oy vey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to say something, but I'm not sure what to say other than hang in there, I'm sure they'll figure it all out.

Ceil said...

Thank you Tamar. I believe that amounts to a virtual hug. :)

And it's very much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Ceil, I too,am not ignoring you, just searching for the right words,but like your friend,what can I say except, think how far you've come with this,I'm sure they have more tricks in their bag! Modern medicine is just full of miracles!

Love ya, Dianne
j

Ceil said...

Hi Dianne,

I'm so glad to know you're there. In fact, I've gotten a lot of feedback and people reaching out this week. I think everyone's nerves get stimulated when there is an unsolved problem in the air. It makes us cranky and distracted. So even though the immediate problem is mine, I sense a whole army of people with me, feeling the discomfort of uncertainty.

I am so grateful you and others are willing to be there with me! That's what gets me through the rough times.