Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Moving right along


I just returned from a visit with my oncologist to discuss the results of my most recent PET scan. As expected, the news continues to be excellent; my health with regard to this insidious cancer continues to improve. As on the previous scan, there are no metabolic hot spots, no activity in my lungs to indicate that cancer is growing or spreading. The largest of the remaining tumors has shrunk further, from 1.2 mm to 0.9 mm. Many of the smaller ones are gone altogether. The drugs are doing their dirty work and my body is flushing the detritus!

The radiologist’s report noted a pattern of “ground glass” in my lungs. This is nothing to worry about, according to my doctor. A mild lung inflammation that accounts for the intermittent fevers, limited stamina, and flagging energy I’ve had over the past couple of weeks. It could be from the drugs, or possibly something inhaled. She assured me there’s no possibility it’s cancer, but of course, I had to ask. She gave me a prescription to address it.

I’m on schedule to start a third treatment cycle next week. After that, my doctor’s cautious approach dictates that we add on a fourth round “for good measure.” This is not fun, but it’s the safe way to go, so I’m all for it.

2 comments:

Ted Roche said...

Great news! Thanks for continuing to share "too much you!"

Ceil said...

Hi Ted. And thank you for continuing to check in and read it. I'm glad to be able to share my news with people I care about but don't see anywhere near often enough!

In fact, I kept looking on the Southwest Fox attendees list for your name and was disappointed to see you're not going to be there. I'm glad I'm going to see other of my techie friends, but I was hoping you and Laura would be there too. Another time....