Monday, December 3, 2007

Hair today, gone tomorrow


Nearly two weeks ago, a couple of days after my last Abraxane infusion, my skin was very tender to the touch, particularly on top of my head. It was a symptom I remembered from the earlier treatment cycles, and I took it as a sign that my scalp was preparing to give up its recent crop of newly grown hair. But it didn’t happen.

I met with my doctor this morning and mentioned that I still have hair. Her reaction amounted to “Go figure.” She told me that another of her patients just went through his entire first cycle without losing his hair. Another medical mystery, and from my point of view, not an unwelcome one. It was easy getting used to having hair again.

Tonight I sat down to my computer and noticed short white hairs all over the keyboard. I tugged at locks and they came out in my hand. Oh well. Once again, I’ll be bald by the end of the week.

No comments: