Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Plan B and a half
I got to the cancer center this morning with computer, clothes, and personal items in tow, ready to start pumping Genasense into my mediport IV and then head for the hospital. As I waited in the exam room for the pre-treatment meeting with my doctor I could hear bits of conversation in the hall. They were talking about me. Things were not going to proceed as planned….
There were a number of reasons to pull the plug again today. Top on the list were the hospital arrangements. It seems there was no guarantee of a room, availability going first to ER patients who are stacked up in hallways as I witnessed firsthand two weeks ago. In addition, the oncology nurse stationed at the hospital is on vacation this week. Although the floor nurses are good, they are each responsible for six patients, whereas the oncology nurse is familiar with and devoted to the special needs of my situation.
There were additional issues, questions posed by the cancer center nursing staff. They didn’t like the idea of starting treatment in one place and moving me to another venue. What if I had a reaction in transit? Who in the hospital has experience with a pump and mediport and can start my IV? Where would they prepare the drug and pump, in hospital or in the cancer center pharmacy? And how will they get the drug to me?
So we’re making progress. We still have a plan, but we also have another delay. I have another week to feel good and energetic and they have another week to work out the details. It’s a bit disappointing to be prepared to move ahead and then have to wait, but it’s not anywhere near as bad as not knowing.
I will get a phone call Sunday telling me when to show up at the hospital Monday morning. Two of my regular nurses will be there to help get things started, a nurse supervisor from the infusion floor and the nurse program coordinator in charge of research. And we should know by Tuesday how well the pre-treatment works for me.