Thursday, August 16, 2007

I wish I had the nerve...


One of my favorite features in New York Magazine is a two-page spread called The Look Book, in which columnist Amy Larocca interviews someone on the street with notable style. The text is minimal; Q&A mostly about how the person describes their own look and where they got the clothes they’re wearing. When you rotate the magazine 90-degrees, it appears as kind of a sidebar to a large picture that takes up most of the two pages.

The current issue features a young woman with alopecia named Sam Rudolph. Alopecia is a condition that causes hair loss, and she has been bald since the age of seven. If you follow the link above, you can see her picture. She’s wearing huge sunglasses, nothing at all on her head, and she's lovely. The article ends with a fantastic quote:

Q: "How do you feel about being bald now?"


A: "Obviously, good enough to look like this. My mother always said my life would be easier if I just wore a wig, but I don’t want to hide who I am. Being bald is a big part of my life, and if I cover it up, it starts to feel like everything is fake."

This all has so much relevance to me now. I don't have the flair or the youth to pull it off, but I'd love to walk through the streets naked-headed! My wig is very natural looking and most people don't even know I'm wearing one. But it gets uncomfortable, particularly on hot days.

If I only had the nerve....

2 comments:

terri said...

Ceil,
I made a silent prediction when this ordeal started that you would be on the streets with your bald head at some point. This entry makes me think my prediction is not far off. Your comfort is so important now (and always). Youth is not coming back, so why not live this age with the same guts and style? I think you would look great. People will know what a difficult and courageous battle you are fighting and salute you. Love to you, Terri

Ceil said...

Wow... thanks for the encouragement Terri! I love that you think I can do it!!

As for me... I'm not so sure. :)

I spend most of my time at home with nothing on my head, but I can't imagine what it would take to walk ouside like that.