Friday, December 12, 2008

Catch-up: Doctor visit on 12/10


So much has happened in the past couple of days, it feels like a week has passed since my last post, so I’ll probably have to break this up into multiple entries.

I was due to see my doctor on Wednesday for treatment and to discuss scan results. When she walked into the examination room, I was curled up on the table, asleep.

“This isn’t you,” she said, shaking her head.

“I’m exhausted all the time,” I explained. “and in pain.”

I told her about my experience with Advil the previous afternoon, how two little blue gel pills had done more to address my pain than the morphine I’d been taking for a week before.

“It’s obvious the pain is inflammatory. We can fix this.”

She had already included the usual dose of Decadron in my premeds, and she prescribed the same steroid for me to take in pill form at home on a daily basis. Steroids are longer acting and don't interfere with clotting, as ibuprofen can. When we begin to see reduced inflammation from the steroid, we can also start tapering back the Fentanyl patch dosage, since it's not a good idea to alter too many variables at once.

Also, Fentanyl is a strong, addictive, narcotic, and we’ve all read stories and seen movies about “cold turkey.”

So for now, we just add daily steroid.

No comments: