Friday, December 12, 2008

Catch-up: More pain and tiredness at home


Thursday morning I was still high from my infusion of steroid the day before. My back pain was greatly reduced, but I was very anemic, causing a push-me-pull-you kind of effect. I’d bend and reach and stand and everything seemed okay. Then I’d take half a dozen steps and collapse, winded, against a wall.

I was already scheduled for a blood transfusion this morning to address the anemia. I didn’t sleep well last night, or nearly long enough, so by the time I arrived at the Cancer Center, I was in such agony that we had to deal with the pain first before getting on with the transfusion.

Another cocktail of intravenous drugs: steroid, Dilaudid (said to be a Lenny Bruce favorite), anti-nausea, hydrating fluids, followed finally by two units of blood. I was in the Center all day, drifting and dozing and accepting the mix of fluids into my body.

Now that I’m home, I’m very much needing to sleep, but wanted to get some information up here first that I know some friends have been waiting to hear.

There will be more tomorrow….

2 comments:

SeattleSusieQ said...

Thanks for the update.

Dan takes Gleevec for his CML. It's probably saved his life.

FYI, Dilaudid was one of Elvis' drugs of choice, too. ;-)

Ceil said...

Amazing! I didn't know that about his treatment.

Then Dan and I have so much more in common than music and arts. I'll have to call him and compare notes.