Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Feedback


I've been getting really good feedback about this blog. Although, truth be known, I don't suppose anyone would tell me if they found it tacky, tasteless, and over-the-top TMI!

(
Wikipedia definition for TMI: “Too Much Information," a slang expression indicating that someone has divulged too much personal information and made the listener uncomfortable.)

A couple of people have called it "inspiring", which comes as kind-of a surprise. Mainly I want to connect with people I know and who I know are worried for me. We all have busy lives, and it's just not feasible to be on the phone all the time.


It's also helping me maintain some distance from the problem so I can look at it a little dispassionately.

Soon after I wrote that last line to my nephew, I got on the exercise machine and heard these words in
The History Boys, the movie I was watching at the time: “There’s no better way of forgetting something than by commemorating it.” The character said this in reference to a memorial for WWII soldiers, speaking about the unfathomable horror of that war.

This I know: I can manage the terror a little more effectively if I keep the monster in front of me where I can examine its details. To some degree I have to do that to keep my mind from drifting to the bigger issues.

2 comments:

SeattleSusieQ said...

Looks like all your feedback has been private, so I'll post this publicly.

Your writing is amazing. You can evoke images so clearly that I'm surprised you haven't tried a career in writing!

How about a picture of your new wig? That way we'll recognize you when we see you. :-)

thanks for this blog.

Ceil said...

Hi Susan. Yes, most of the feedback has come apart from here. This is a new medium to many who check in and I'm not sure they even know they can leave comments.

Thank you so much for the kind words! In fact, I have tried my hand at writing. Remember, I have a FoxPro Advisor column for the past seven and a half years. :)

I do think the column has sharpened my skills.

I'll get a picture up here soon. Right now it's too hot to wear both the wig and my own hair.